A supported learning environment to help students achieve
Since 1990, The John Carroll School has supported students with documented learning differences. In 2015, the St. Joseph Program was formalized to meet the growing needs of these students. We embrace neurodiversity, recognizing each student has a unique approach to learning fostered by individual learning styles and previous experiences. We believe all students can succeed when given the appropriate support and necessary accommodations.
The St. Joseph Program exists to foster success in every individual by not just supporting students in establishing strategies and goals, but by teaching self-advocacy in the achievement of these goals.
About the St. Joseph Program
Once enrolled, students embark on a deeper discovery of their personal learning style and work with experienced learning specialists to develop strategies so that they can successfully navigate John Carroll’s college preparatory curriculum. There is an additional cost for enrollment in the St. Joseph Program.
Students who enroll in this program have access to:
- A support class (maximum 10 students) which provides tutoring as well as customized strategies to improve organization, note-taking, researching, writing and test-taking skills
- Support from a highly qualified support staff including a team of learning specialists and school counselors
- Individual and group tutoring
- Space to engage in group discussions or work on projects
- A classroom that facilitates kinesthetic learning with flexible seating options including chairs that move, a tall desk and rocking chairs
- A quiet, distraction-free testing room with testing accommodations that may include: receiving extended time, having the test read aloud, dictating answers, using computerized and speech-to-text capabilities to write essays
- A close partnership between teachers, counselors and parents keeps students on track to excel
- Regular contact and communication occur throughout the school year to monitor and maintain student progress
Admission to the St. Joseph Program
- Submit and application to the John Carroll School and indicate your interest in the St. Joseph Program.
- Submit an additional application to the St. Joseph Program.
- Provide completed educational testing that is no more than three years old. This evaluation should be completed by a professional psychologist or school IEP team.
- If it is determined that the school can meet the needs of the student, an Individualized Accommodation Plan (IAP) will be designed. The plan will then be reviewed with the family.
The St. Joseph Program Coordinator and Learning Specialist are available to provide any information families may have throughout the application process.
St. Joseph Program Application
Please submit the application form below and provide completed educational testing that is no more than three years old.
This evaluation should be completed by a professional psychologist or school IEP team. Upon completion of the application, you will be contacted to participate in a family meeting with members of the St. Joseph Program staff to review testing, accommodations, and appropriateness of placement in the program. If it is determined that the school can meet the needs of your student, an Individualized Accommodation Plan (IAP) will be designed. The plan will then be reviewed with the family.
The St. Joseph Program Director and Learning Specialist are available to provide any information families may need throughout the application process.